Saturday, January 6, 2018

Six Degrees of Separation - January 2018

Today, I'm joining in Six Degrees of Separation starting with the first in the well loved series No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith with its wonderful character, Mma Ramatswe.

I didn't think I'd read many series of books with strong female protagonists, but it turns out I have, starting with A Killer in King's Cove by Iona Whishaw, the story of former British spy and current amateur sleuth Lane Winslow in post-WWII British Columbia, which leads to:

Black Roses by Jane Thynne, a series featuring Clara Vine, British actress and part-time spy living in pre-WWII Berlin, and on to:

A change from those darker series with The Lanvin Murders by Angela M. Sanders.  This series brings its readers to the world of vintage fashion in Portland, Oregon with heroine Joanna Hayworth.

Next we move to the historical fiction genre and Evelyn Anthony's oldie-but-goodie series about Russian Tsarinas, starting with Rebel Princess, the story of Catherine the Great.

A fine example of dystopian fiction/sci-fi from the brilliant Margaret Atwood is the MaddAdam trilogy: Oryx and Crake is the first in the series.

And finally, the bring this full circle, let's go back to Africa, South Africa this time with Sally Andrew's wonderful Tannie Maria mystery series Recipes for Love and Murder


Six Degrees is courtesy of:  Books are My Favorite and Best

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of the books in your chain, but you were quite creative with it. I do have a copy of THE LANVIN MURDERS that I need to read. Met the author at a mystery conference last spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a book by Iona Whishaw in my TBR pile, so you've made me quite eager to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Killer in King's Cove sounds fascinating, especially after Marina mentioned she also has an Iona Whishaw in her TBR. That's the only 'problem' with 6 Degrees - always giving me more books to add to that to-read pile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Oryx and Crake. Atwood turned up in my chain twice this month! There is never too much of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to #6Degrees!

    I love the basis for your links.

    I think Oryx and Crake (and the following two books) might be the only Atwood I haven't read... I don't usually read dystopian but Atwood is the exception!

    ReplyDelete